Many businesses in the wedding industry receive reviews at The Knot or WeddingWire, but what about Google Reviews – the reviews that show up with your Google My Business business listing?
If you have 30-50+ great reviews at The Knot, and/or at WeddingWire, I suggest you make a focused effort to get more reviews at Google. Google reviews have a lot of clout and they will help you book more weddings.
I would argue that Google reviews are equally as powerful as reviews at The Knot or WeddingWire. A lot of engaged couples use Google every day (more than The Knot and WeddingWire combined!) and they TRUST Google reviews.
Unfortunately, Google makes it a bit tricky for you to get reviews. There currently is not an easy-to-use direct link (URL) that you copy-and-paste to send to someone quickly via email.
To create a direct link to the leave-a-review option for your business at Google, you will need to: (1) claim your Google My Business listing, (2) determine your “PLACEID,” and then (3) create a custom link using your PLACEID.
Here is what it would look like: https://search.google.com/local/writereview?placeid=
Once you have the created the link, you can use it via email at your website on a “How to Leave Us a Review Page,” and, of course, across any of your social media channels.
Here is more detailed information on how to do it: https://bookmoreweddings.com/how-to-create-a-direct-link-to-get-google-reviews/
- Get 20-30 Google reviews in the next 12-24 months. Try to keep at least half of them fresh (within the last 12 months). Fresh reviews have the most impact.
- If you have not claimed your Google My Business listing, do it today. (https://www.google.com/business/)
- Create your Google Reviews custom direct link using the two parts – the Google URL appended with your PLACEID (as noted above).
- Test your URL. To make it easy to use, keep it handy in a digital notepad like Evernote. (http://evernote.com)
- Create a “How to Leave Us a Review” page (or blog post) at your website. Provide detailed instructions on how people can leave you a review at different review points (The Knot, WeddingWire, Yelp!, Facebook, Google).
- Go through your client list for the past 6 months and identify couples who may be willing to leave you an online review but not have given you one yet. Ask them to leave you a review at Google with your new Google review link. You may also direct them to the “How to Leave Us a Review” page at your website.
The Google review link you create is a bit long. You can shorten it using Bit.ly (http://bit.ly). If you sign-up for a free account at Bit.ly, it will allow you to track clicks on the Bit.ly links you create.
Recommended Next Read: Regularly Monitor Your Online Reviews
Questions? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org